Reviews & Awards
The Book of Mormon is one of the most critically successful new musicals of the past decade, and has been met with unanimous praise from the American press. As Ben Brantley of the New York Times called it “the musical of the Century”, others were quick to echo similar sentiments and it quickly became the hottest ticket in town. The US national tour and the LA production was met with similar praise, and we are sure that the London production will receive a similarly complimentary set of reviews. The Guardian newspaper reviewing the show in New York gave it 5 stars, calling it “smart as hell”, and a similar view was held by other members of the British Press.
The Sunday Telegraph
“It’s hilarious. God have mercy upon my soul.”
The Evening Standard
“At its best,The Book of Mormon is indecently funny…there are bursts of brilliant comedy, and it’s hard not to be swept along by its joie de vivre.”
“If anything, by warm-heartedly embracing the medium of musical theatre, Parker and Stone have revealed a maturity and sensitivity lacking from their screen work. And I for one am delighted to welcome them to the fold.”
“Is the show touristic? Does it merely flirt with blasphemy? Oh, you bet. But there is also something very winning about its spirit.”
West End Wilma
“The feel of the show felt very much like Spamalot, crossed with The Lion King and sprinkled with some Hairspray (a strange combination but it works)!” Read More…
Ought to be Clowns
“I liked it, a lot in places. But I also felt that it tried way too hard at times: to be shocking (I guess the language would have had more of an impact stateside); to be cleverly self-referential (which meant it lacked the universal charm that I wanted); to really say something worthwhile – the overall feel for me was that I’d seen something entirely designed for Broadway.” Read More…
The Beast’s Pen
“That no-one seems to take offence (not even Mormons) is little short of a miracle, but this may be due to the fact that the show as a whole has the charm and innocence of a Christmas pantomime. The biggest problem is the sameness of the tunes, but the lyrics are sparklingly witty, the performances are spot-on and each half includes one dazzling song and dance routine that is out of Broadway’s top drawer.” Read More…
Every component, facet and creative element of the production is of such an exceptional standard that its bursts and crackles with an energy, joy and attainment that few shows can match. It is relentlessly hilarious, brutally honest, unforgivingly satirical, tirelessly intelligent and easily the most characterful and original musical to arrive in the West End in a very long time…Kyle Pedley
The Book of Mormon has received a number of prestigious awards since opening in 2011. These include:
- 2011 Tony Awards: Best Musical, Best Book of a Musical, Best Original Score, Best Featured Actress in a Musical, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Orchestrations, Best Scenic Design, Best Lighting Design, Best Sound Design.
- 2011 Drama Desk Awards: Outstanding Musical, Outstanding Lyrics, Outstanding Music, Outstanding Director of a Musical, Outstanding Orchestrations.
- 2011 Outer Critics Circle Awards: Josh Gad, Outstanding Actor in a Musical, Outstanding Director of a Musical, Outstanding New Broadway Musical and Outstanding Score.
- 2012 Grammy Awards: Best Musical Theater Album.
- 2013 Evening Standard Awards: Best Night Out.
- 2014 What’s On Stage Awards: Best New Musical, Best Actor in a Musical, Best Supporting Actor in a Musical and Best Supporting Actress in a Musical.
- 2014 Olivier Awards: Best New Musical, Best Actor in a Musical, Best Supporting Role in a Musical and Best Choreography.